Chennai is one of the four metro cities of India and is well connected with the rest of the world (national / international) by flights. It has Domestic and International Airport terminuses, both located within very close vicinity. For within country travel, Chennai can be conveniently reached by numerous trains and buses.
After Reaching Chennai: How to reach IIT Madras
The IIT Madras campus is located on the Sardar Patel Road, half-way between the Raj Bhavan and the Adyar bus terminus, i.e. about 12 kms from Chennai Central. The other landmarks are the Guindy Snake Park adjacent to the IIT main gate and the Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI) campus lying opposite to ours. The travel time from the airport is 30 to 45 mins and from railway stations or Koyambedu bus terminus is approximately 45mins to 1 hour based on traffic.
After Reaching IIT Madras
Once you reach the In-gate, there is campus bus free service available, which you may take. You need to reach ICSR stoppage. The conference venue will be on the other side of the raod. Buses travel every 15 minutes during 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
The following are the ways to reach IIT from railway stations, airport, and bus terminus:
If you have heavy luggage or with a group of more than 3 persons, it would be convenient for you to hire an auto or a taxi. The Chennai Central Railway Station has a system of pre-paid autos. Else, you can travel by call taxi via online cab services. Taxi may charge you Rs. 500 to 700/-. Online UBER and OLA will charge lesser.Alternatively, you may also choose to hire an auto or taxi yourself. The fare to the campus from Chennai Central will be around Rs. 250-300/- for a taxi, which will drop you at the ICSR.
- Local Trains:
- Use the subway and cross the street in front of the Chennai Central Railway Station, to reach Park Town station.
- Get tickets for train going to Kasturibai Nagar (Adyar). You can get a train every 20 minutes on weekdays during 4:20 am to 10:30 pm and every 30 minutes on weekends during 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- On reaching Kasturibai Nagar, get down and ask for Sardar Patel Road or IIT Madras. The In-gate of IIT Madras is at a walking distance of 5 minutes from the station.
You can also go to Park Railway Station opposite the Central station and take an local train to Guindy or Saidapet station and reach the campus from there by the buses mentioned below. We advise you not to use this mode if you are travelling with a heavy luggage.
- City Bus:
If you are travelling with light luggage, you can take a city bus to IIT. The bus stop is right opposite the Central Station. You could use the subway to cross the road which is perpetually busy. Your options are:
- The direct buses to the campus are 19B and 5C. If you take any of them, get down at Gandhi Mandapam or CLRI, which is at walking distance from the IIT main gate.
- You can also take any bus to Saidapet and from there, any bus heading for Adyar or Besant Nagar Adyar (5B, 47, 47A, 47D, 23C etc.) which will drop you right in front of the IIT gate, on the opposite side.
- You could also take any bus to Adyar; there are frequent buses from Adyar Signal to the campus.
- From Chennai Egmore Railway StationYou can take 23C to IIT or a 23E, 23A, 23G to Adyar signal from where there are a number of buses to IIT. Current auto and taxi fares from Egmore are around Rs. 500/- and Rs.250/- respectively. You can also make use of Call-Taxi service mentioned above. Alternatively, a local train to Guindy can be taken.
- From Airport:
If you arrive at the Chennai Airport, you can make your way to the Institute in a Call Taxi. PrePaid black Taxis from the airport to inside the campus cost about Rs.450. Taxi prepaid stand is available at both Domestic and Insternational arrival points. Cheaper options would be OLA or UBER. If you do not have the ‘apps’ in your mobile, there are OLA/UBER counters available just outside airport.
- From Bus Terminus:Chennai interstate/intercity bus terminus is commonly known as CMBT. From CMBT, you can come to institute by taking city bus 23M or by Call Taxi. On the way if your bus stops at Anna University or CLRI.
For your convenience, given below is a list of few such taxi operators:
Call Taxi Operators:
- Fast Track: 044-2473 2020 /044 2888 9999
- Chennai Call Taxi: 044 2538 4455
- K.K. Travels: 044 2243 1118/ 044 2972 8403/ 094440 20837
- S. R. Cabs: 044 2498 8490/ 044 2467 2860/ 095000 18738 / 095000 18739
- Kathir Travels: 044 2495 1212 / 044 2493 9268 / 044 4281 5087